Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fall Dandelion Root Tincture






Before the snow came i went on a dandelion hunt. Fall is the time to harvest roots for medicine, so i decided it was time to make a Taraxacum Offinalis (dandelion) tincture for the year. In this season the energy and sugars of the plant are returned to roots to store until spring. Therefor the roots are potent.

With a bucket and a gardener's fork I walked around the garden in the backyard. First I noticed that many Taraxacums were growing in the pathways of the garden, and knew that the owners of the property would weed them in the spring. Therefor I harvested them. Then I walked around the garden loosing the earth with my fork and collected about 10 percent of the dandelions I could find. Leaving the rest to propagate, fix nutrients into the soil and for animals to eat.

As i harvested the roots I only took what I was prepared to process into a tincture. I sang a gratitude song throughout the harvest. That is my way to show appreciation and give back to the plant spirits. Harvesting to me is a meditation. A time to breath deeply, connect with the season and feel in balanced with my place in the cycle of existence.

Once I had harvested a small bucket of roots I went back into my cozy little trailer and cut them up an finely as i could with an average knife and cutting board. The outside of plant's roots are resistant to breaking down in liquid, unlike the inner parts of the root. Therefor the finer the roots is chopped, the easier the medicine of the dandelion will break down in alcohol.

I used the simplest method of tincture making I know that day. I placed the cut up taraxacum root in a mason jar and covered it with 40 percent vodka. Now it lives on my alter. I shake it and other tinctures whenever they cross my mind. Ideally twice a day.

Soon I will strain the tincture through a strainer or cheesecloth and the tincture will last at least two years without refrigeration. Why did i make a dandelion tincture? First it allowed me to breath the crisp air of fall and give me a sense of wholeness within my connection with the larger world.

Also, i consider dandelion to be a medicinal allie. The roots are bitter and are therefor used to cleanse the blood and liver as well as aid with the secretion of bile for digestion. The roots act as a laxative to help constipation. A small bite of a fresh dandelion root will help someone who is having a serious allergic reaction until medical help/an epipen is available. The fresh spring leaves are used to cleanse the urinary system and fill the body with fresh nutrients.

By making a tincture the medicine is available in a convenient form. Easy to take for a busy person. I'm looking forward to the day when I'll have Taraxacum officinalis in my apothecary, waiting to help myself or a member in my community.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Tessa!
    I love your blog and your art...
    I really want to make this tincture, but I have a couple of questions: first, does it matter what proof alcohol you use? I know that grain alcohol is bad news, but could i use higher proof vodka? Second, how long into the winter can this be done? The ground has frozen once here, as it snowed...does that make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I learned this week that when making a fresh plant tincture the water coming from the plant dilutes the alchohal in the tincture. You want to have at least 50% alchohal to preserve your tincture indefinitely.

    Therefor to make a tincture that will store for a long period of time it is best to use a 75% rum, or next best is a 60% vodka, so that it will not dilute to under 50% from the water in the roots. In multiple months, or years if your tincture does go off, it will taste and smell funny. You'll be able to tell.

    It is too late to make a tincture out of dandelion because, as you said, the roots are frozen. You could make one out of any healthy looking leaves though, such as rosemary, artichoke or douglas fir tips that last through the winter.

    Have fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete